Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Chapter 2 Summary

The second chapter of the Bedford reader is titled " Exploring and Focusing ". the two main key questions that will be address is: how can i explore my topic and the other being how can i focus on an issue? these are both great questions to ask your self when writing a essay on just about anything. "Exploring involves gaining a general understanding of the issues..."says the Bedford reader.

My first step is suggested to make a plan to explore my topic. better known as a research plan. within in this step i should come up with people that i can talk to about my topic. it's best to have a list of questions  ready to go. a list of different people who are known experts is helpful too. a list of resources and a system for keeping organized information that's been collected. when you have come up with a plan, take it to the instructor for any additional thought of possible resources. remember to take notes on any advice given.

The next step talked about talking about your topic with others, while remembering " what's my purpose?" there were five important questions to include when making notes:

  1. who can help me learn more about my topic
  2. what questions should i ask people on my list
  3. what settings can i observe to learn more about my topic
  4. what resources can i search or browse to learn more about my topic
  5. how can i keep track of information i collect as i explore my topic
Once you have chosen a topic its best to narrow it down to a specific issue. it is helpful to look for patterns when searching through your sources for common information, ideas, and arguments. sometimes you may find more sources with in your reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment